Discounted Student Rates
As a student of Studio West and The Recording Arts Center, you’re eligible to get discounted student rates from several leading industry names. Instructions for each company are provided below.
Izotope Student Discounts
For eligibility to receive student pricing on Izotope products, you need to have completed or be currently enrolled in classes with Studio West or The Recording Arts Center.
To access educational discounts on Izotope products, only use the direct Izotope store link (not Studica or other third party retailers).
Ableton Student Discounts
For eligibility to receive student pricing on Ableton products, you need to have completed or be currently enrolled in classes with Studio West or The Recording Arts Center.
To access educational discounts on Ableton products, only use the direct Ableton store link (not Studica or other third party retailers).
McDSP Student Discounts
For eligibility to receive student pricing on McDSP products, you need to have completed or be currently enrolled in classes with Studio West or The Recording Arts Center.
If you do not have an electronic PDF copy of your enrollment letter please contact your admissions advisor to request proof of enrollment. You should have your enrollment PDF document available before you begin the purchase process with McDSP.
For the “Required Signature” field on the McDSP order form, please see the school registrar or any school administrator. They can authorize your purchase.
Fax or email the completed form and your enrollment letter to McDSP.
Place your order and shortly after enjoy using your new McDSP plug-ins at student pricing. Orders are usually processed in 24-48 hours.
Avid Products Discounted Student Rate
Educational discounts for the purchase of Avid Pro Tools, Media Composer and Sibelius are available for Studio West and The Recording Arts Center students. For specific information on Avid’s educational purchase program, see the link below. The Recording Arts Center is a qualified academic institution.
To receive your educational pricing on Avid products, follow the instructions below. The whole process usually takes 5-10 days to complete from start to finish. Educational pricing is usually 50% off retail pricing, or annual subscription-based pricing at $99.00 per year.
• Enroll in any Avid certification class with TRAC or Studio West
• Locate the electronic copy of your enrollment letter from TRAC or Studio West
• Purchase your product on-line via www.studica.com/avid
• Wait 2-5 days for your package to arrive via US Mail
• Complete the online authorization process
• Wait 48 hours for the second authorization process to complete via identit-e
• Download, install and activate your software
• Download and activate your iLok authorization
• Start using Pro Tools, Media Composer or Sibelius
1. For eligibility to receive student pricing for Avid Pro Tools, Media Composer or Sibelius – you need to have completed an Avid certification class with TRAC or Studio West.
2. If you do not have an electronic PDF copy of your TRAC enrollment letter for the classes you are enrolled in or are have taken, please contact your TRAC admissions advisor to request proof of enrollment. Have your enrollment PDF document available before you begin the purchase process on Studica.
3. Navigate to www.studica.com/avid to select the Avid products you wish to purchase.
4. When purchasing software you have two options, a one-time purchase or an annual subscription. One costs a little more up front, but you have no renewal hassles down the road. The other is less expensive initially, but you need to renew every year.
Higher-Ed Student and Teacher Annual Subscription: $99.00 per year
This option needs to be renewed every year for $99.00. The initial cost DOES NOT include an iLok (this will need to be purchased separately). If a new version of Pro Tools is released within your 1-year subscription period, you are eligible for the upgrade at no cost. Contact Avid Customer Service to facilitate the update/upgrade.
Higher-Ed Student Pro Tools License: $299.00 One-Time-Purchase
This option is a one-time non-expiring purchase of whichever version of Pro Tools you select from Studica. After your initial purchase, no addition renewal fees are required unless you wish to upgrade. Upgrades to newer releases will cost $99.00.
5. When completing the order form at www.studica.com, you may be required to attach a copy of your PDF enrollment form as proof of student status. If Studica does not request your proof-of-enrollment when you initially place the order, you will be required to provide the PDF when your reach step #9 below. When placing your order, notate that TRAC/Studio West is the school you attended.
6. If you chose the free shipping option, your Pro Tools packet should arrive in the mail 5-8 days after completing your on-line order.
7. When the package* arrives it usually includes the following items:
• Pro Tools black cardboard document & iLok holder
• Pro Tools verification code card
• Your Pro Tools warranty information packet
* Once the package arrives you’re still 24-48 hours away from being able to use your new Pro Tools software. As a TRAC student, you still have a few more steps to complete in the verification and authorization process.
8. Create a free iLok account if you don’t already have one. You need this account to activate your new iLok (purchase at any major audio retailer). Navigate to www.iLok.com and locate the Create Free Account link in the upper left corner of the page. Your iLok account is where you manage your purchased authorizations (for Pro Tools and Pro Tools plug-ins) which will eventually move to your physical iLok. When you get to Step #9 below, you will need to enter an “iLok Account Name” so Avid knows where to send your Pro Tools iLok authorization. Once the PT authorization has been downloaded to your iLok account, you can then use the iLok License Manager app to drag the PT auth from the iLok cloud to your physical iLok (Step 11 below). Insert your iLok now while you create your iLok account. Download the iLok License Manager from iLok.com at this time (it’s a separate application and you will use it to access your iLok licenses from this point forward).
* iLok activations are not part of the authorization process for Media Composer or Sibelius. These programs use serial number authorization codes – not an iLok. Skip the iLok related instructions for MC and Sibelius purchases.
9. Navigate to the URL on the back of the Pro Tools verification card:
This URL will take you through the steps re-verifying your student status. This is where you will be asked to attach the PDF copy of your TRAC enrollment letter along with submitting the code on the back of your Pro Tools verification card.
Important: After completing this step, it will take another 24-48 hours for Avid to confirm your student status and send your Pro Tools iLok authorization to your iLok account.
Pro Tools iLock Authorization
10. After verification is complete, you’ll receive an email from Avid notifying you that your request has been approved and your Pro Tools iLok authorization has been moved to your iLok account. The email will also include a link to log into your Avid account where Pro Tools software download links are now located. From here you can download Pro Tools software (step 12 below).
11. Log into iLok Manager. Make sure your iLok is inserted. Drag your new Pro Tools authorization from the “My Licenses” tab at the top of the page, on top of the iLok icon on the left side of the page. This will move the new license from the cloud element of iLok Manager to your physical iLok. Right click on your iLok icon and select Activate.
12. Navigate to your Avid account https://my.avid.com/account/orientation and log in using your regular Avid email and password. Under “My Products and Subscriptions” you will see your currently owned products. Click on the small white downward facing arrow on the far right to reveal the software downloads available in your Avid account.
13. Download and run the installers you need—then start using your new Pro Tools software. Enjoy!
Logic Student Discounts
Unfortunately, there is currently no individual academic pricing available for Logic Pro at this time. We are always following Apple’s educational policy, and will inform students of any changes that could be beneficial to their instruction.